Friday, January 21, 2011

Sports

Oh, come on read the blog despite the title and whether or not you like sports, it's about life in Abu Dhabi. Or at least the last two weeks and the life of an Associate Athletic Director in Abu Dhabi.

On Tuesday nights the Yas Island Formula One racing track allows runners and cyclists on it to run and bike and sometimes do both if you're a triathlete. So we've had some students and staff going out to participate, it's a treat for riders because they get to ride at pretty good speeds without worrying about traffic or any other hazards they might encounter on the highways and byways of Abu Dhabi. It's a treat for runners for the same reasons and plus we get to avoid having to step up and down on the extra high curbs.

We entered 3 teams in the two different triathlon events, the olympic distance and the sprint distance. We had 9 students signed up, but due to a late scratch because of illness we ended up with 8 students and one middle-aged AD participating on January 14th. We had students from Russia, Australia, Chile, Ecuador and the US participating. Everyone had a great time competing with the other 600 athletes and even just being around the other athletes.
One of our teams (not the one I was on) finished 2nd out of 21 teams and ended up on the medal stand. Our other olympic distance team was 13th in that race and our 3rd team was 9th of 13 teams in the sprint distance event. I only had to run a 10k with the 13th place olympic distance team. Here's a picture of us after we finished swimming, biking and running.






January 20th found me and my boss out at the Abu Dhabi National Golf Club for the HSBC Tournament which was being contested by 6 of the top 10 golfers in the world. Mostly from the European Tour, but including Phil Mickleson from the US, although his big nemesis Tiger Woods is absent.
We watched some great golfers make some fabulous shots and that was only the first day of the tournament. I'm heading back tomorrow to watch a little more.
Finally, this morning I headed down to Dubai at about 5:00am with two co-workers. One was running the 10k taking place and I was going down to watch the Dubai Marathon which offered a purse of $250,000 US to the winner. I'm pretty sure that makes it the highest 1st place prize money at any marathon in the world. The men's winner crossed the finish line in 2:07:20 and the women's winner was finished in 2:22:00 The winner's are in there somewhere. They're both in the picture on the left can you spot them?


On the right is a picture that certainly may leave you rubbing your eyes. Yes, that is a group of Arab men playing the bagpipes.
All I can say is that yet again it's something I never contemplated seeing in my lifetime, but there they were today at the marathon.
By the way it rained today pretty much all day. That's a first.
QOB: "Don't stand between me and my dreams, there's not enough room for you anyway." Courtesy of my youngest daughter Sarah, who is studying to be an actress.
I know those of you in Michigan and Massachusetts are dealing with some tough winter weather. I wish I could be there to help you shovel.
Stay warm,
Wayne

1 comment:

  1. Tiger Woods probably had prior engagements with other people... specifically women.

    Nice quote, Dad. :0) Sarah would be proud.
    Also, this whole white-on-black font thing is killing my eyes. Lol.
    You look great in your picture. I almost thought you were one of those college folk. Lol.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete