Friday, September 24, 2010

Nothing cultural today



Burje Khalifa - the tallest building in the world in Dubai.
And I didn't get all of it in the picture.

Hi,
I don't have any cultural news this week so I thought I'd share my week with you. The first thing I wanted to mention is I actually walked outside on Tuesday at about 2:00pm over to the ATM and I didn't sweat.
My normal work day is from about 9:00am and finishes when sports are over for the day. The only reason I start so late is because I finish so late the night before. I spend time in the office planning some of the things we do each day and what we're going to do long term. I spend time in the fitness center monitoring activities, sometimes working out on my own if it's at night and I'm done for the day.
I've shared with some folks what my work week was like this week. We have 4 full time staff in the Athletics office and two were out of town. So that left two of us to cover almost everything going on all week. We have one part-time staff member who is also a writing instructor so she's only able to teach tennis and help out when she can.
So Stan and I were tasked with covering fitness center hours from 6am - 9pm everyday and also the intramural program which runs at night and is just our involvement in recreational leagues around the city. NYUAD teams are made up of students, staff, faculty and anyone else from the NYU community that wants to participate.
We're participating in American Flag Football, Soccer (3 teams), Men's Basketball, Co-Ed Volleyball, Mixed Tennis, Table Tennis, Women's Beach Soccer and Men's Beach Soccer. So Sunday night after work I went out with the Flag Football team and played with the kids against a team of guys in their mid 30's to mid 40's. We finished about 9:00pm. I help my own and was easily the oldest one on the field. As a team we took a beating, but had fun running around and playing football. Mind you even at night it's still in the high 80's low 90's temperature wise.
Monday night I was out monitoring and watching the three soccer teams until 10:15. One student hurt his arm blocking a hard shot, so I ended up taking him to the hospital. Kun Lao is from China and I just didn't feel right having him sit in an ER alone. We were there until 1:30 am, it was a fracture of his forearm/wrist area and they ended up putting a cast on it.
Back to work Tuesday morning and up working out until about 8:00pm in the Fitness Center. Wednesday night it was out to the soccer field to monitor practice, then off to basketball for a 9:00pm game with a bunch of 18 yr olds on our team and another opponent in their late 20's and 30's. We took another beating, but I had fun running up and down the court. One of our opponents said to me after the game "you're quick, you can run" I looked at him and said "yeh, but I can't play basketball". Mind you I'm eating when I can all week long as I travel between sporting venues and work and home. So dinner Wednesday was at 10:25 and it was three chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk.
Thursday morning when I got out of bed I had a slight groin pull and an old achilles tendon injury was acting up so I was limping in two different directions. After monitoring swim class until 7:00pm I headed out for golf with two guys under the lights at the Abu Dhabi Golf and Equestrian Club. The 9 hole course is inside the horse race track and is pretty well lit so it's fun to play at night. One of the guys I was playing with moved here from Grand Rapids where he worked at Grand Valley State and lived in East Grand Rapids. Finally home at 11:00pm.


Friday morning started the weekend so it was an easy morning and then I had to accompany 19 students out to Dragon Boat practice at the Shangri La Hotel in the afternoon. That was tough duty.
I can tell you that as a 51 yr old weekend and now weekly warrior, I love my job and I'm having a blast.
This was my view of their practice on the canal. The mosque in the background is the Grand Mosque and I believe it is the 2nd largest in the world. I'll get some better pictures of that in the future.


QOB - "If you don't move forward your life can be taken over by what's behind you."
So are you standing still or moving forward?

Wayne



3 comments:

  1. Hey dad, nice quote at the bottom. I hope Kun Lao is okay. It's righteous you took good care of him. It's nice hearing about your adventures and that you love what you're doing--take care of your achilles tendon, etc.

    P.S. --I bet I could beat you in basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You cannot beat me in basketball. Kun Lao is doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad, I will challenge you next summer. You better start practicing now.

    ReplyDelete