Sunday, September 12, 2010

Student arrival


NYUAD Class of 2014

The students have arrived from all over the world. I believe the toughest trip was a young man from Chile. The kids from China didn't have it bad, but I'm sure kids from California did. They are from all over the world as advertised, but also they are 18 - 20 yrs olds and some things never change. They all do understand and speak english which is fortunate because that's what classes are taught in.

They seem excited to be here and have just finished the first week of classes. We had a decent number of them come down to the Fitness Center to see what equipment we had to offer. They are not disappointed that's for sure. I've been in a few gyms in my day and I'm not sure I've seen a nicer one. I'm serious as far as treadmills, elliptical, stair machines, summit climbers, stationary bikes, recumbent bikes, rowing machines and then all the weights and weight machines. There was no expense spared. More on the gym in another blog and maybe I can provide photos.

Back to the students. Although they're from all over the world and it's interesting to see them interact with each other, it's also interesting to talk with them. They are an intelligent bunch and have huge thoughts and huge minds. Most are very well spoken, but if you look at the photo you'd see regular teenagers with many of the same problems all teens have, too much confidence, lack of confidence, searching for themselves or an identity, timid, loud, weird hair, normal hair, tattoo's and piercings.

So although I have dispatched myself and my daughters to the far corners of the US and world I'm still surrounded by young people. They don't replace my kids, but there are some looking for guidance in different things and they are aware I'm a father of kids their age so they may come to me to talk.

For an example of the diversity of the students understand that Clive is from Kuwait and he has roommates from Kenya, Canada and Russia. That doesn't happen in many places, if any.

QOB - "When you come to the edge of all the light you know and are about to step off into the darkness ofthe unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught how to fly." Barbara J. Winter

That's one of my favorite quotes, take the leap.


No comments:

Post a Comment