Saturday, December 18, 2010

Islands...Yas and Saadiyat

Tuesday found us heading to Yas Island which is being developed as the entertainment island to go along with Abu Dhabi as the business center and Saadiyat as the cultural center. Yas currently has the Formula 1 Race Track where the final race of the Formula 1 season took place on November 14th. It also has a Marina that has room for all the huge yachts that come into Abu Dhabi for the race. Oh look, here's a photo of just one of many.


Yes, that is a helicopter on the front end, (I think that's called the bow).


Also on Yas Island is Ferrari World, the largest covered entertainment park in the world. Which is the current location of the fastest roller coaster in the world with a top speed of 240 kilometers/hr or 150 mph. I couldn't wait to get on this one. I've been fortunate to have lived near Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH and ridden the Top Fuel Dragster and the Magnum which are currently listed as #'s 3 and 7 on the 10 fastest list. I can attest that 150 mph on a roller coaster is a complete and total adrenaline rush. Wow, you shoot out of start area down the track to the top speed and then up the first hill and you're thanking your God that it breaks itself as it gets to the top of the hill or you're positive it would simply rocket you off into space. Then you spend another minute riding the whole ride leaning sideways, going around turns and up and down hills. Fortunately there are no loops that take you upside down.


Can you guess which one of those people in the cars is me? What a fun ride.



The rest of the park is interesting if you're into Ferrari cars and engines, but for me it was all about the roller coaster. I was going to buy this car, but with the way drivers are in the UAE it would just end up dented.
QOB: "I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar." Robert Brault, wanderer, poet

Wayne in UAE

1 comment: