Saturday, August 28, 2010

Running on Empty...Again

Only this time it's not about running. I've had a loaner vehicle for a week until my leased car comes in. So we went golfing Wednesday morning and the gas gauge was low. We got to the golf course and back and according the system I still had about 6 kilometers I could go based on the gas I had left.


Well I had a meeting at 1:00pm I was going to drive to because the shuttle bus schedule wasn't going to work for me. I realized I was going to need to get gas because of my schedule the rest of the day. So I left with enough time to get gas ( a first for me in Abu Dhabi) and to get to the meeting.


I asked one of my co-workers where the nearest station was and she told me. I go downstairs out into the 43 C temperatures (about 110 F). It's hot, I start up the Honda CRV and look down to see now I have only about 2 kms range left. As if it's not hot enough already outside and in the vehicle I'm starting to get a little concerned about even making it to the gas station without running out and then making it to the meeting on time. So I'm not sure if I'm sweating because of heat or nerves, but I really didn't feel like running out of gas on the busiest street in Abu Dhabi at 12:45 pm in 110 degrees.


2 Kilometers sure go fast and I'm not more than 1/2 way to the gas station and the gauge is reading 0 km range left. So now I'm shifting into neutral to simply coast when I can, scanning the road ahead for the ADNOC gas station until finally I spot it off in the distance. Now I start praying that I'll get there, neutral, drive to go faster, back to neutral to coast a while. All the while staying in the right lane so if it stops I can hopefully get out of the traffic lanes. Finally here pulling in and immediately shift to neutral while I wait in what seems an incredibly long line of cars all needing complete fill-ups. They have attendants pumping the gas and they are each working two pumps so it takes a while. I'm thinking that at 51 yrs old I'm finally going to run out of gas for the first time in my life. I slowly creep towards the pump. Don't want to shut the car off because I don't know if it will start up again and I'd die inside right at the gas station because of the oppressive heat and humidity.


Finally at the pump and I shut it off and let the guy fill it up. 91 dirhams later I'm on full and heading to my meetings. Arrived 2 minutes late, but with a full tank of gas.



Feel free to make any comments you want about this blog, send the link to your friends that are perhaps interested in reading about all things Abu Dhabi or at least some things Abu Dhabi.





Stay cooler than me.


Wayne

1 comment: