Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Rest of the Weekend.....



The girls made it to Abu Dhabi (at least their picture did)

If you want to see the Camel races you better get up early. It was a 6:30am meeting time and three carloads of us were off to the races. We got there about 7:30am and the races had already begun. The area was a beehive of activity. There was a big corral area for the camels to be in before the start. A large race track that is about 60 feet (18.2 meters)wide and about 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) long and a finish area where the camels are grabbed by the camel boys.



The corral area is busy with hundreds of camels and for lack of a better term "camel boys" who tend the camels and walk them everywhere. The camel boys walk them from there into a holding area right before their race where the "jockey" is placed on top of them. The jockeys used to be real boys, but now they are a weighted thing that is strapped onto them that has a remote controlled whip that the owners can control as they race around the track in their SUV's.




This is the final stage of the start area. The camels are lined up behind the mesh screen, in a minute or so it will be raised up and a bell sounds and they are off, riderless except for the colored silks and the little system that houses the motor and receiver to control the whip (which is small).

The camel boys wearing helmets and flak jackets. The camels are lined up behind the mesh screen while the boys are holding onto their leashes and keeping them in line. If you think it looks a little crazy because the boys are in front of where the camels are going to run, you're right. They are standing right where the camels will run so when that screen goes up the boys better be running off to the side or some of them line up where those corral barriers are and let the camels bolt by. Thus helmets and vests because sometimes they don't get out of the way fast enough. I did see one kid go down and get slightly trampled but he got right back up and seemed okay.

These races are televised throughout Abu Dhabi and they go on for about 3 hrs every morning 5 days a week. I told you the camels race, but at the same time the owners or trainers are lined up in SUV's ready to go at the same time. They are jockeying (pun intended) for position the whole way around the track so they can be close to their camel to encourage him/her electronically to run faster. That's an event in itself that I got involved in when I grabbed my Nissan X Trail small SUV and took a few NYUAD employees for the trip around the track. There are about 60 or so camels in each race so probably as many SUV's all going about 25 mph (40 kph) to keep up with the camels. This picture shows them lining up at the start.




So the camels take off, the SUV's take off and about 6 minutes later everyone ( and thing) is back. Some camels are foaming at the mouth, none seem winded, some have lost interest and simply trot down the track at their own pace well behind their camel buddies. The two trucks with vidoe cameramen mounted on the top loop around back to the start area and about 2 minutes later everyone is off again. The camels that just raced are gathered up by their camels boys and I'm assuming get some water or food and then go into a holding pen. I couldn't tell if any of the camels raced more than once because honestly they all kind of look the same to me, tall, 4 long legs, a hump or two, big heads. During one race one camel even escaped the track and came running back right down the middle of the road. Actually it was a pretty funny sight.

By 9:00am we were leaving the camel races as were most of the camels and their handlers. Some were heading out to get loaded up on trucks others were just heading off into the desert to whatever pen or farm (yes, it's camel farms not ranches) they lived on.

So if you come to visit and want to get to the camel races (who wouldn't) I can get you there.
Stay Cool, it's still hot and muggy here although I did get out around my neighborhood tonight and didn't sweat. I grabbed a chicken dinner and a fresh 1/2 loaf of whole wheat bread at the bakery.
QOB - "Never expect a thank you and never do things for a thank you, that is very liberating"
I don't know the author, but it's someone famous.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Dad,

    pretty good pictures even though they were only taken with your Blackberry. I'm surprised at the quality. Just FYI--everyone can see that you titled the first picture "Camel Butts" as it shows up in the URL. Hahahaha. Very amusing.

    How old are the camel boys? It seems crazy that they just stand there:( Poor little tykes getting trampled and all!

    I have a question: How fast are the SUVs going? And wouldn't it be dangerous to drive and control a robotic "jockey" at the same time? Or is there more than one person in the SUV? I'm assuming there is?

    I want to go to a camel race when I come see you!! And you better buy me a chicken dinner and a loaf of bread afterwards. Haha just kidding.

    Today though we went on our class field trip to Punalu'u beach, it was BEAUTIFUL. It made me think a lot about Adu Dhabi, wondering if that's what it looked like... just because Punalu'u is in the district of Ka'u, which is more barren and dry land, but there are the palm trees then the ocean right there. I saw a lot of neat places I'd like to tell you about. But what I was getting at is that I bought a half a loaf of bread today, too!! It is sweet bread = AKA delicious. I'm sure you've had it, but if you haven't, well let's just say I'll bet you like it more than a pulled pork sandwich from good ol' O.T.'s :)

    Okay, sorry for blogging all over your blog.

    Love you Dad, glad you're having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is very little I could like more than a pulled pork sandwich from OT's.
    Camel boys appear to be in their early teen years. Most are able to get out of the way of the camels.
    There is more than one person in the SUV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. Racing camels and robots and SUVs. That's some serious entertainment, pal. :) Here's an odd coincidence: your description of a camel reminds me of some couples Ken & I know (" tall, 4 long legs, a hump or two, big heads). (tee hee). Actually, sounds like a fun morning. Um, was it smelly? The only camel I've ever seen in person was at Canobie Lake Amusement Park in Salem, NH...and he wreaked. And spat alot. Which meant he fit right in with the Canobie Lake human population. :) I'm too witty for my own good this morning. Have an awesome day, WEY. Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello my older bald headed wise brother! I have finally caught up reading the blogs you have been posting.

    I am a big fan of the QOB and camel racing sounds like quite the sport. I am very impressed and a little envious with the overall experience you are encountering. The excercise, daily play and interaction with the young kids is a great way to keep you healthy in body and spirit for a long time to come. This is very important at your age. The social and cultural changes are a pretty incredible and life altering experience that is expanding your horizons intellectually (which is difficult to do since you were so advanced in that area already). So you've covered the mind, body and soul. Sounds like a recipe for a long and prosperous life.

    Keep the great blogs coming! I really like the one about the newsweek article...I never have thought about things from that perspective. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, I'm glad you're getting the chance to enjoy this incredible experience so much. It's well deserved.

    I'm signing off with this thought. Don't ever expect a post from me to be this serious again.

    SLY

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm touched that my younger, better looking (in his mind) brother wrote to me. You're right though I'm very fortunate to find myself in this position at this point of my life. The girls and their independence have been a big help in this. If they had so "don't go" I wouldn't have come here and been able to start this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL @ both of you.

    I gotta vote for my Dad, sorry Uncle Scott.

    ReplyDelete