Saturday, October 23, 2010

Traffic Flow

I've been driving here now for a couple of months and whether it's driving in a big city (1.75 million people) or simply driving in an environment that appears to be well thought out and planned I'm simply amazed at what I see.
The way the roads have been planned and built is incredible. There's a lot of traffic and despite having drivers from all over the world and the normal poor drivers traffic flows so well. At every intersection the far left lane is for those that want to go left or do a complete U-Turn. The next lane to it's right is for people that want to go straight or make a left hand turn. Then there's a lane or two that simply has the option to go straight. On the right there is a lane that expands into a turn lane so people going right can do it without impeding any traffic behind them.
At the intersections only one side has the green light. So I don't go through the intersection while traffic going the other way comes through also. It simply rotates around and all four sides get their turn to move through. So a light turns green and a car either does a u-turn, goes left, goes straight or goes right and nothing coming from any other direction slows the traffic down. Pedestrians follow the signals to cross streets (more out of fear for their life) so they don't impede anyone. It really is a great system. The only glitch is the bad drivers.
Cabs, of which there are thousands, have certain areas (cut-outs) they can pull into to pick up fares and bus stops are also cut-outs so when they pick up passengers they are not stopped in a traffic lane. Any time you merge onto a street, for example if you make a right turn, there is a merge lane to help you so you don't turn right into traffic.
So engineering wise and infrastructure wise it's interesting to see what can be done when you take your time to develop a plan and learn from other large cities. There are also rotaries/roundabouts here to help with traffic flow. Another interesting aspect of the design is the pedestrian walkways that go under the streets. So you don't have to go to a street corner to cross the street you can simply walk down steps or a ramp and cross underneath in a well lit and large tunnel. Those are usually available in the middle of a block if it's a main street.
I went to my first Polo Match yesterday. It's a sport for the wealthy since along with having a ball to hit you also need a horse to ride.
QOB - "There are only two distinct classes of people on this earth: those who espouse enthusiasm and those who despise it." Author Germaine de Stael
It's cooling off here, down to about 90 or so during the day.

Wayne

4 comments:

  1. I'm submitting one of my favorite quotes for your enjoyment: "The world is round. And the place which may seem like the end may also be the beginning" - Ivy Baker Priest (former US treasurer). Oh, if only the city planners of Beantown could re-vamp streets/driving based on UAE's system...then I might actually be able to drive into /out of Boston using the same route. I've never entered/left the city in the same way. And don't get me started on the ever-so-helpful- Boston "detour" signs. My GPS self destructs once I'm off Sturrow Drive and flashes "You're on your own, you're on your own" over and over again. Chalk one up for the UAE! Oh, WEY-- Halloween is this coming weekend...will the students be "celebrating"? Turning the gym into a haunted house ala WEY? Do tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the students are watching Rocky Horror Picture show to celebrate Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Polo sounds interesting. Elizabeth took me to her son's waterpolo games on O'ahu when I was there. It was a great game, I'm sure it's a little different there, considering yours doesn't involve water?

    Also, that driving sounds scary. And I think I forgot how to drive. I am too scared to try it again. And I kind of like not having car. Wow... I bet you can't believe I just said that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waterpolo and Polo are different unless the waterpolo players are riding "sea horses". In real polo the players ride horses.

    ReplyDelete