Friday, November 5, 2010

Film Festival

From October 14th - 23rd the Abu Dhabi Film Festival was held in three locations in the Marina area here. The main one was the massive Emirates Palace Auditorium. I attended about 9 movies. So I thought I'd give you some reviews because I'm pretty sure all of them are opening in the states around now.



"Wrecked" with Adrien Brody (youngest male Best Actor Oscar winner) was interesting. It opens with a man trapped in a car that has gone over a cliff and is stuck in the woods with no one around except for two dead bodies. He doesn't know who he is or how he got there. It was pretty interesting from a couple of different perspectives, he's in almost every frame of the movie so has to carry it. There isn't all that much dialogue throughout the film, it only took 18 days to film in a remote location and it poses some interesting hypothetical questions about what you'd do in that situation as a person. The director, writer and Adrien himself were in the theater for the screening and then answered questions after that.


"Fair Game" with Sean Penn and Naomi Watts tells the story of Joe Wilson and his wife Valerie Plame who was the CIA agent outed by the Bush administration. I thought this was very good and from what I understand a very accurate depiction of what really happened. It shows how our government can simply wreck your life and turn it upside down. They were not in the theater for the screening, but it too was the world premier.


The third one I saw that's worth mentioning is "Let Me In", which isn't my usual viewing preference, but I had seen a review of it in The Week, had seen the previews at a regular movie so knew it was a commercial film and thought I'd venture over to the dark side and see a scary/horror movie. I wasn't disappointed. There are certainly a couple of parts that had me jump out of my seat never mind the wimply people around me. It was certainly scary, it's a vampire movie, probably a little bloodier than I need, but a very good movie. It isn't just a fright fest though and there's a story line to it that is kind of disturbing, but the two main characters are very good in their roles and they are essentially teen age kids. So if you want something a little different go see it if it's playing near you.


I saw some other movies that deal more with the Middle East and documentary type films, but I won't go into those reviews.


Oops no pictures this time or here's one to wet your appetite for the next blog entry. Wayne doing his Christoper Cross imitation and "Sailing Away". Great way to end the work week on a Thursday afternoon, leaving Abu Dhabi in the background.


QOB: "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." Benjamin Franklin

Wayne

2 comments:

  1. Somehow, the Adam Brody movie reminds me of Sarah's life. Except instead of her just being alone and crazy, there would be more dialogue. She would definitely be talking to herself.

    Oh, and I know I'm going through these backwards, but I've noticed that in a few different blogs you've posted pictures of yourself on this boat.

    ...We get it Dad, you got to sail on a boat.

    Ha, just kidding.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for my laugh for the evening Court. I get the message I posted the sailing pictures too much. I sent them to you girls too.
    And by the way Adrien Brody was talking to himself in the movie.
    Strangely enough there were 8 actual actors in the movie and three of them were named Adrien or Adrian.

    ReplyDelete