Friday, November 12, 2010

Unexpected benefits

I do love my job. It's just fun to go into work everyday and even the weekends are fun whether it's going to events or sports practices. It's just a great environment. I've found that I like the Sunday - Thursday work week. Mentally I feel like I have a 3 day weekend for some reason and it could simply be that I don't work on Friday, but weekends do seem to be longer.
I've found an added benefit this week. There is another Eid holiday. So there has to be a new moon sighting for Eid (a holiday period) to be declared, but the estimates were that Eid would be from Tuesday - Thursday next week. Which meant classes and work on Sunday and Monday then off for the three days leading into the 2 day weekend.
Well Eid is actually going to begin on Monday now so it will be Monday through Wednesday. Since the original estimate was Tuesday - Thursday NYU had told students and employees to plan on being off then, so many people made reservations to travel. And we would have worked 2 days had 5 off then headed back to work. Since so many people had planned on leaving Tuesday - Thursday NYU simply decided to hold class on Sunday as scheduled and then take the rest of the week off. So now I'll work Sunday and be off for 6 days straight except for a couple of minor things I have to do.
The beauty of all this is my first guest to come to Abu Dhabi was scheduled to arrive Sunday night and I was simply going to do my best to work around spending time with her and showing her around. Well now I have the first 6 days of her visit off to show her around. Talk about lucky planning. Then she has another friend flying in so for the 2nd week she'll have someone else to hang around with.
And this is not considered vacation time. Then of course school is closed for a short break in December from the 23rd - 2 January and since school is closed it's not considered vacation time either so I just have the time off.
Great unexpected benefits.
QOB: "Success in life has nothing to do with what you gain in life or accomplish for yourself. It's what you do for others." Danny Thomas

Wayne

5 comments:

  1. Excuse me....quote it missing. :)

    Makes sense that you'd have additional holiday time off, since it's a teaching position. But I had not even thought about that additional benefit. Glad you hear you are enjoying both your job and your down time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing that out, there's one there now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool
    Long weekends are great
    it means more sleepovers
    and more chances to get in trouble!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude how was the visit with Aunt Kathy?!

    Ya didn't blog about that--shooooooooooooooot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and life after Nov 12th is....what?

    ReplyDelete