Saturday, April 23, 2011

He looks familiar

Indulge me while I tell you a story about my lunch last week with two colleagues. My boss, Pete, is a lawyer by profession and Maggie is also a lawyer and our compliance officer here at NYUAD. We went to this nice little place "Jones the Grocer" which is an Australian place. I've been 3 times before and the service was always terrible, but the food is good so if you go at lunchtime you just have to be prepared to wait for your meal.
Strangely enough this time the service was quick so the three of us got our orders in about 10 mintues and proceeded to eat. We were at a table with three chairs, Pete across from me and Maggie to my right and his left beside us. We were discussing nothing in general or even specific just enjoying the meal talking about east coast stuff, sports, crimes etc...
Jones the Grocer is mostly a business type crowd that fills the place at lunch time because of the office buildings around it. People in ties, skirts, Kandura's (the long white garment men here wear) and Abaya's, essentially business attire. The table beside us which is truly on 3 feet away from me is empty and has chairs for four. Finally a guy in a sport coat comes in and sits down along with an Emirati in a Kandura.
Maggie makes a quiet comment "there goes our freedom of speech about education in the UAE". I wasn't sure what she was referring to and thought I had just missed part of the conversation while I was eating. So we continue talking, but I keep looking at the guy next to me Mr. Sportcoat and thinking he looks familiar to me and so does the guy in the kandura, but I just can't put my finger on it for either one of them. Pete said something and I laughed out loud and it was loud, like I'm known to do.
In the meantime I'm still looking at the guy next to me and I almost leaned over and told him "do you know you look like Tony Blair?, but I thought better of it and didn't want to interrupt their conversation. During dessert a third gentleman sat down next to us and he was also an Emirati. After dessert we finally left and and when we got outside I looked at Pete and Maggie and said "hey didn't the guy next to me look like Tony Blair?" Of course they both responded in unison with looks of disbelief "that was Tony Blair you idiot". Then Pete said "do you realize the guy across from him is the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi?" My response was "he looked familiar too, but I couldn't place him".
If you have ever been here you'd know how often you see a picture, billboard or poster of the Crown Prince, it's alot. Evidently the third guy is also a Sheikh who is also NYUAD's benefactor and the Chairman of Manchester City Soccer Club in England.
So there's some lesson or moral to the story and it may simply be when you go to Jones the Grocer for lunch you never know who is going to sit down beside you. Evidently the Crown Prince has an office in that building and goes there for lunch often. Of course I will now claim that I had lunch with Tony Blair and the Crown Prince (they just weren't aware of it).
I've never seen anyone like that in Pastrami Joe's or OT's Barbeque.

QOB - "There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works." Will Rogers

I haven't done any arguing with any women, but I thought this was funny, true and funny.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah lol DAD you should have said something!!! lol
    Also did you have a Tuna Fish Sandwich?
    And you forgot to mention Pizza Sam's or wherever we go in Massachusetts when we're there, at the end there.

    ReplyDelete